Tales of the Cruzinator

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

i believe the sole purpose of the olympics is to inspire...at least me if no one else...

So obviously, the olympics have been the head honcho of sports recently, and for good reason: it is one of the rare times when the whole world can participate in athletic competition. It's not just watching football or hockey or baseball which is so focused on US athletes, and US male athletes at that. This time, you get to see all these rando sports that you never think of, and see how good people are at it.

Just today, I was able to tune into many more events from the virtue of my ass-backwards schedule. And as a warning, I actually think all the sports are pretty cool, but these two particular ones never cease to amaze slash confuse me.

Yes, I shall THROW you, and you will morph into a triple salchow (NOT sow cow)- Do you remember back in the day when it was Tara Lipinski vs. Michelle Kwan for the gold? Tara Lipinski looked like a duck b/c of her fat lips and was also the first person ever to do a triple loop/triple loop combination, which resulted in the stealing of the gold medal from michelle kwan? Yes, fun stuff and crazy gravity defying moves. I was reminded about the crazy aerodynamics of ice skating today when watching pair skating. The dude basically picked up his partner and THREW her and she went straight into a salchow jump. (for reference, check out this quick youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_E8nBCgmg) I mean, WTF, that could be confused with domestic abuse: "Yes, doc, I THROW my partner's body around. No there is no trouble at home, that is my occupation." BUT, when you put on ice skates and a sparkly outfit, throwing your partner becomes quite the respectable and awe-inspiring maneuver. Amazing? YES. Confusing? YES.


tea pots and brooms in the olympics: the perfect sport for cinderella. Today there was a TON of curling on tv (This was the most dramatic picture of curling that I could find on the internet.) and usually, I'm not a big fan of sports commentators. I find they don't do that great of a job of enhancing the viewing experience. However, the commentators for curling are actually really good, because they explain what is going on in this quixotic sport. One thing they were talking about were the real careers of these olympian curlers since curling isn't really a sport that you can do full time and avoid being homeless. (When was the last time you saw a curling match come to your hometown?) So the US team is comprised of a bartender, IT guy, and construction worker. The fourth guy who was like 20-something decided that after the olympics it was time for him to find a career, just like what some post-college grads must deal with. I just assume that he was living in his mom's basement. so the moral of this story is that it is still VERY POSSIBLE for ME to become an olympian. Maybe I won't be able to compete in tennis or volleyball, but CURLING is a very viable option: doctor-ing during the week, BAD-ASS curler on the weekends. Oh, I'd do it.

In regards to the Olympics, I may definitely be a bit biased as I am a HUGE sports enthusiast in general, but you gotta admit, the olympics is an amazing thing. 2 weeks of non-stop events..kind of like field day in elementary school but vamped up so it's not just trying to catch a waterballoon so that you can tease team red or blue or whoever your nemesis might be. It's about proving yourself, about representing your country while you do it, and about the GLORY. So let the olympics ROCK ON and maybe one day, I can be lucky enough to be part of it: player or doctor. I'll take either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home